City Facilities

View all facilities

Tugman Park

Features

  1. Basketball
  2. Looped path
  3. Off street bike / pedestrian path
  4. Performance space
  5. Picnic tables
  6. Play area
  7. Restrooms
  8. Sand play
  9. Shelter
  10. Sports / Play field - informal
  11. Water spigot
Tuman entry sign

Description


Tugman Park is one of Eugene’s largest neighborhood parks. Located on the west side of Hilyard Street from 36th to 38th Avenue, the first parcel of the park was purchased in 1939. Originally known as South Amazon Park, it was renamed in honor of William M. Tugman, editor of the Register Guard from 1927-1954.

The southern portion of the park is the site of a former municipal burning dump. It was in use from around 1925 to the summer of 1951. Remediation of the landfill happened in the mid-1990s under direction from the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality.

In 2002 a relatively high-quality natural area formerly named “Fawn Lily Rise” was added to the northwest corner of the park.

Renovations
Tugman playground is currently closed for renovations. It is scheduled to reopen in late August with all new playground equipment. 


Volunteer


Help activate the power of parks by getting involved with our Eugene Outdoors volunteer program. Learn new skills, meet great people, and improve the quality of life in Eugene by helping to care for our parks and open spaces.

Contacts


  • To reserve the ballfield at this location, contact Ethan Wing
    Ph: 541-682-5212
  • To reserve other facilities at this location, contact Parks and Open Space
    Ph: 541-682-4800
  • Park planner: Philip Richardson, Landscape Architect 
    Ph: 541-682-4906
  • Park volunteer coordinator: Vanessa Young
    Ph: 541-510-9318