May is Bike Month in Eugene and Springfield, so get your bike ready to ride. Celebrate with a full lineup of rides, talks and classes, bike-up business discounts and prizes for all ages and riding abilities.
Visit WeBikeLane.org for a continuously-updated list of free events including:
- FREE Bike Repair
- Filmed by Bike Film Festival
- BIPOC Mountain Biking with Dirt Maidens
- Adapted Bike Demo Day
- Weekly raffles for those who track their rides/trips on GetThereOregon.org
Nationally celebrated since 1956 and in Lane County for the past nine years, Bike Month showcases the many benefits of biking and invites more folks to give it a try. Community members are encouraged to get out and ride for fun and exercise as well as for essential errands and trips throughout May.
Don’t have a bike? PeaceHealth Rides bike share is offering FREE memberships during the month of May. Visit WeBikeLane.org for information on how to access FREE bike share.
A few tips for enjoyable biking:
- Get your bike ready to ride — visit your local bike shop for a safety check.
- Wear a helmet to protect your head — it’s required for children under 16 in Oregon.
- Follow the rules of the road — obey signs, signals and markings.
- Ride predictably — ride in the right-most lane that goes the direction you’re traveling.
- Look before you change lanes — look, signal your turn and then act.
- Plan your route — pick bike-friendly streets and paths when possible.
- Follow path etiquette — keep right except to pass and give a warning when passing.