The four gold medal winners of the st Annual ACT-SO Talent Competition in Eugene are headed to the national competition in Orlando, Florida, in July. They are: Brianna Stubbs, North Eugene High School, for contemporary vocals (pictured); Audre Davids, Thurston High School for original essay; Simon Longnight, South Eugene High School, for dance; and Maya Agapito, South Eugene High School, for painting.
The Eugene/Springfield branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the City of Eugene presented the local competition on March 23. The ACT-SO program centers on the dedication and commitment of community volunteers and business leaders who serve as mentors and coaches to promote academic and artistic excellence among African-American students. ACT-SO is an acronym for Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Olympics.
This year ACT-SO students from Eugene, Bethel, and Springfield school districts competed in humanities, science, and visual and performing arts categories such as music vocal and instrumental, dramatics, music composition, mathematics, health and science, poetry, original essay, drawing, painting, and dance.
Seven South Eugene High School students took medals home. Sheldon High School, Churchill High School, ATA Middle School and Oak Hill School each had two medalists. North and Thurston High schools each had one medalist.
Silver Medals winners are:
• Sophia Haug, Sheldon High School, drawing
• Izikawla Huntley, ATA Middle School, dance
• TreSonya Nukes, Churchill High School, contemporary vocals
• Simon Longnight, South Eugene High School, drama
• Amber Stock, Sheldon High School, Painting
• Asia Wooten, Oak Hill School, music instrumental contemporary
And the Bronze medal winners are:
• Talib Lamont, Churchill High School, music instrumental contemporary
• Asia Wooten, Oak Hill School, music instrumental classical
• Christine Loy, South Eugene High School, dance
• Simon Longnight, South Eugene High School, contemporary vocals
• Kwadro Assensoh, South Eugene High School, oratory
• Livingston Assensoh, South Eugene High School, drawing
Donations are accepted to help students attend the National ACT-SO event in Orlando, Florida. Help local students represent Oregon on the national stage. For more information or to donate online, go to: www.naacplanecounty.org or contact Arbrella Luvert, NAACP ACT-SO Chair, 541.285.1916.