May is Bike Month in Eugene and Springfield, so get your bike ready to ride. Celebrate with a full lineup of group rides and events for all ages and riding abilities.
Visit WeBikeLane.org for a growing list of free events including:
- Walk + Roll to School Day, May 4
- Electric Bike Expo, May 6
- Bike Tune-Ups at the Saturday Market, May 7
- Free Bikes 4 Kidz, May 14
- Mountain Bike Clinic for Women, May 14 and 15
- Retro Ride Brewery Tour (ages 21+), May 28
Nationally celebrated since 1956 and in Lane County for the past nine years, Bike Month showcases the many benefits of biking and invites more folks to give it a try. Community members are encouraged to get out and ride for fun as well as for going to school/work and running neighborhood errands throughout May.
For a complete list of Bike Month events and activities, visit WeBikeLane.org or May is Bike Month: Lane County on Facebook and Instagram.
Don’t have a bike? PeaceHealth Rides bike share is a great option — new and existing members can ride bike share for FREE this May. Learn how to sign-up at WeBikeLane.org.
A few tips for enjoyable biking:
- Get your bike ready to ride — visit your local bike shop for a safety check
- Wear a helmet to protect your head — it’s required for children under 16 in Oregon
- Follow the rules of the road — obey signs, signals and markings
- Ride predictably — ride in the right-most lane that goes the direction you’re traveling
- Look before you change lanes — look, signal your turn and then act
- Plan your route — pick bike-friendly streets and paths when possible
- Follow path etiquette — keep right except to pass and give a warning when passing
For more information contact:
Cas Casados, City of Eugene Transportation Options Coordinator, 541-682-8379
Emma Newman, City of Springfield Senior Transportation Planner, 541-726-4585