The cold weather has arrived! Are you ready for it? Follow these gear tips to stay dry and warm throughout the season.
To get started, take your rain gear out for a walk or bike ride to test it. Is the water beading up on the fabric and running off or sinking into the fabric and “wetting out”? If the fabric looks wet and soaked through – you may want to rewaterproof your gear with waterproofing spray from a local outdoor gear store. If your rain gear is old and needs to be replaced, follow these shopping tips:
- Assess your weak spots – do you need gloves, shoe covers, a helmet cover, pants or a jacket?
- Know your options – visit local bike shops to try on rain gear in person.
- It’s a numbers game – try on options to determine which fits best and allows good mobility.
- Consider your goals – Durability? Breathability? Weight? – and ask staff for their expertise.
- Bring your layers with you – and try on the rain gear with and without layers.
- If you’re looking for deals – look for used rain gear at Play It Again Sports or Eugene Gear Traders.
Next, assess your footwear. If you have a pair of non-porous or leather shoes, consider purchasing a waterproofing spray and treating them. If you have a long commute, consider wearing rain boots and changing when you arrive. If you’re biking, visit a local bike store to check out the range of waterproof shoe covers. And don’t forget the option of waterproof socks – local bikes shops have great styles!
Last, choose the best option for keeping your belongings dry. Consider treating your bag or backpack with waterproofing spray or using a large plastic bag (sturdy trash bag or shipping plastic) to line it. If you have items that needs to stay completely dry – local bike shops carry waterproof bags, backpacks, and dry-bags. Consider a bag or backpack with a top flap, so when you’re loading up the inside stays dry.
Now that you’re ready to walk, bike, roll, and bus in warmth and style – get out and enjoy winter in Eugene.