News Home
The original item was published from 11/9/2020 6:05:08 PM to 11/18/2020 12:00:07 AM.



Posted on: November 9, 2020

[ARCHIVED] Suspect threatening officer with knife taken into custody

Police Patrol Vehicle

On November 6 at 3:10 a.m., Eugene Police officers responded to the 2700 block of Oak Street for a a dispute, where a man was reported to be "busting down the door." An officer happened to be a few streets away and arrived almost immediately on scene and contacted the involved man and woman, who he found nearby on a sidewalk. The man, Kyle Irvin Wayne Jones, age 27, ignored the officer’s command to stop and not to leave in his vehicle. Jones got in and fled without headlights on at a high rate of speed.

The officer was able to provide other officers with Jones’ direction of travel and returned to the woman at the apartment. However, Jones reappeared seconds later at the location where the officer was contacting the woman and had both his hands shoved behind him in the back of his waistband. The officer commanded Jones to put his hands up, which he would briefly do before immediately dropping his hands back towards his waistband. There was a fixed blade sheath on the side of his waistband. Jones ignored the officer’s commands and turned around and began to walk back towards the apartment complex. Once he got there he stood at the entrance and again put his hands toward his back waistband. At one point, Jones yelled he had a knife and for police to shoot him.

Another officer arrived on scene with less than lethal sponge round, which he deployed into Jones stomach, which had effect. Jones still turned to  run to his vehicle. The first officer applied a taser, that had no visible effect, and Jones ran again into the alley where multiple officers gave chase. The officer with 40mm launcher in hand, caught Jones in an adjacent apartment complex and tackled him to the ground. Several officers were able to take Jones into custody without further use of force. Jones had to be hobbled and a spit hood applied as he began to spit. Jones continued to be disorderly all throughout his EPD contact. He was initially taken to a local hospital for evaluation after the sponge round application and he was continuously argumentative with officers and medical personnel. He was discharged for Jail transport and after being secured with a seatbelt into the back of the patrol vehicle, he began banging his head on the partition. The driver expedited his transportation to jail due to this and he was evaluated by the staff at jail and lodged for Elude by Vehicle, Disorderly Conduct, Interfering with Police, and Resisting Arrest. 

Case 20-18475

Kyle Irvin Wayne Jones

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Police

Rape Reported off Oakway Road

Posted on: August 17, 2020