News Home
The original item was published from 8/20/2020 9:22:26 AM to 8/21/2022 12:00:04 AM.



Posted on: August 20, 2020

[ARCHIVED] Suspect Chasing Teens Apprehended

UPDATE on August 20 at 9:20 a.m.:

After Goertzen was arrested, an officer followed up on two unrelated reported incidents involving Goertzen. He has additionally been charged with:

Stalking in the First Degree – Case 20-13703

On August 17, at about 7:30 p.m. a man in his early 20s left a restaurant at Oakway Center and reported being followed by Goertzen. The victim pulled into a driveway and Goertzen is reported to have backed into the same drive and was unresponsive when the victim confronted him. The victim got out of his vehicle but backed away as he observed Goertzen reaching around inside the truck. Goertzen subsequently left.

Stalking in the First Degree, Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree – Case 20-13704

On August 17 at 6 p.m., a female in her early 30s was driving on Centennial Loop when Goertzen was reported to have stopped beside her vehicle and stared at her. She reported he moved his truck in a position where he may have been able to back into her. She put her vehicle in reverse, did a u-turn and quickly left, with Goertzen following. She was starting to call 911 when she happened upon a Eugene Police patrol vehicle at E. 6th and Pearl Street. She drove in close proximity and reports Goertzen left the area.

Previously release information on August 18 at 10:00 a.m.:

At 11:20 p.m. on August 17, four females, two of them age 14 and two age 17, were travelling in a Ford Edge when a man, later identified as Ronald Joseph Goertzen, age 37 of Little Falls Creek, Oregon and driving a Chevrolet Dually truck began to chase them. They went eastbound on E. 11th Avenue. There were multiple calls to 911 due to Goertzen’s driving.

Eugene Police officers located both vehicles and attempted to stop them. The teens were in fear of Goertzen ramming their vehicle, and they were provided instructions for where to drive, including to the Springfield Police Department, where they waited for contact. The teens are to be commended for calling 911, and well as for their actions and responsiveness during the incident. ,

Goertzen continued eastbound on Franklin and eventually into Springfield. Officers discontinued their attempt to stop Goertzen but followed from a distance. Goertzen was seen driving in the opposing lanes of travel, and he entered Springfield by going east over the westbound bridge from Glenwood. He came to a stop several times on Main Street but fled when officers initiated a stop.

Ultimately Goertzen stopped in the 4300 block of Main Street. He rammed an EPD patrol vehicle and an SPD patrol vehicle. He also drove through a chain link fence at Caliber Collision, and automotive shop at 4350 Main Street.

Goertzen did not follow commands and during the incident produced a tire iron, small ax, and at one point a crossbow, later confirmed to be a NERF device. During the incident officers deployed a taser, which did not seem to affect Goertzen, as well as less than lethal rounds.

Goertzen ultimately surrendered without incident after successful negotiations by an SPD officer.


He was charged with numerous traffic violations as well as Menacing, Assault Public Safety Officer, Elude, Reckless Driving, Reckless Endangering, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, and Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree.

Facebook Twitter Email