News Home
The original item was published from 5/31/2020 1:24:09 AM to 9/4/2020 1:49:58 PM.



Posted on: May 31, 2020

[ARCHIVED] Arrests Made as Mob Refuses to Observe Curfew

On Saturday, May 30, and with an emergency
declaration and curfew in place for 9 p.m. through May 31 at 6 a.m., EugenePolice was joined by Springfield Police, Lane County Sheriff’s Office, and
Eugene Springfield Fire EMS to protect the city and its residents from criminalbehavior, violence and property damage. The curfew was extended from the
downtown area to city-wide at midnight. Eugene Police began advising groups ofthe curfew prior to midnight. 


The early part of the night was
characterized by small groups of mostly younger individuals with signs andmasks roaming in various parts of the downtown and other areas, including
Valley River Center. One cell began to place construction cones to blocktraffic on Oak and the group was intercepted. Another cell was similarly
attempting to block traffic at W. 11th and Willamette shortly before10 p.m. As the night wore on, groups engaging in unlawful behavior were
intercepted as they began their criminal behavior. At 13th and OliveFire Station 1, a group of about 20 gathered and one person lit a torch,
possibly catching the station’s flag on fire.  The group moved around andgrew to about 35 at Lawrence/7th Aly at 11:59 p.m. The group was
warned to disperse but continued to go southbound on 7th andWashington. Pepperballs were deployed at 12:08 a.m. on May 31. The first person
was taken into custody at 11th Aly at 12:12 a.m. There weresubsequently multiple arrests (arrest information will be provided later
today). The area returned to relative peace by 12:46 a.m.


Another area of concern had been ValleyRiver Center, where groups had been observed walking around locations at Valley
River Center. By 11:37 p.m. there were more subjects crossing streets to themall and police units were in the area to ensure pedestrians did not get
injured while crossing. A small group blocked traffic in the intersection bysitting in the roadway.


“Yesterday’s absolutely criminal acts were as reprehensible as they were surprising,” said Chief Chris Skinner. “The group very quickly blossomed in size to a large out of control mob. Tonight we were able to spot early indicators of emerging criminal intent, which is very different from lawful protesting. I’m very pleased with our officers’ and our partners’ measured and discerning response to safeguard constitutionally protected free speech and to thwart and pre-empt violent criminal acts. What was very helpful was the local emergency declaration and curfew for downtown that City Manager Pro Tem Sarah Medary put into place and then extended at midnight to cover the city.”


General Information

Theinitial curfew applied to the area from High Street to Monroe Street and from
13th Avenue to 4th Avenue from 9 p.m. on May 30 to 6 a.m.on May 31. The curfew was extended to apply city-wide at midnight. 

the hours of the curfew, people are not allowed to travel on any public streetor in any public place in that area. Prohibited travel includes automobile,
bicycle, foot, public transit and any other mode of personal transportation.The curfew does not apply to people seeking emergency care, fleeing dangerous
circumstances, sheltering in place, traveling to and from employment or makingcommercial deliveries.

Facebook Twitter Email