With temperatures dipping below freezing over the next several nights, Lane County and the City of Eugene are working together with St. Vincent DePaul and Egan Warming Centers to provide shelter from the cold for people experiencing homelessness. The warming center will be activated tonight and tomorrow night, Tuesday and Wednesday, October 29 and 30, starting at 8 p.m. in Wheeler Pavilion at the Lane Events Center (796 West 13th Avenue) in Eugene. The Wheeler Pavilion can only accommodate adults age 18 and older. Youth 18 and younger may also seek shelter at Looking Glass Station 7 (931 W 7th Ave). Call first: 541-689-3111.
The warming center will close in the mornings at 7:30 a.m., and the Eugene Service Station (450 Highway 99 North) will open for day service at 7:30 a.m. The warming center will be open to anyone in need of a warm, dry place to be.
During the day, local facilities in the community are open to anyone needing a warm, dry space. They include:
- Eugene Public Library
- Downtown Library, 100 W. 10th Ave., Hours: M-Th: 10-8, F-Su: 10-6
- Bethel Branch, 1990 Echo Hollow Rd., Hours: M,W,Th,F,Sa: 10-6, Tu: 12-8, Su: Closed
- Sheldon Branch, 1566 Coburg Rd., Hours: M,W,Th,F,Sa: 10-6, Tu: 12-8, Su: Closed
- City of Eugene Rec Facilities
- Amazon Center, 2700 Hilyard St., Hour: M-F: 9-5, Sa-Su: Closed
- Campbell Community Center, 155 High St., Hours: M: 8:30-7, T-F: 8:30-4:30, Sa-Su: Closed
- Echo Hollow Pool, 1655 Echo Hollow Rd., M,T,W, F: 5:30-8, Th: 5:30-10, Sa: closed, Su: 11-3
- Hilyard Community Center, 2580 Hilyard St., M-F: 9-5:30, Sa-Su: Closed
- Petersen Barn, 870 Berntzen Rd., M-F: 9-5, Sa-Su: Closed
- Sheldon Community Center, 2445 Willakenzie Rd., M-F: 8:30-6, Sa-Su: Closed
- Sheldon Pool, 2443 Willakenzie Rd., M-F: 5:30-8:30, Sa: 9-2, Su: Closed
- Eugene Mission
Open 24/7; check-in to stay overnight is by 6:30 p.m., but new guests may check-in between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. The men’s and women’s centers are both closed daily from 1-4 p.m.