With the ease of the internet, purchases can be made in the convenience of your own home, on your own time, with the rewards showing up on your doorstep. Often times, packages are left unattended on the front steps, and Eugene Police want the public to be aware of the associated risks. Even if for a short while, this opportunity may be too attractive for thieves to pass up and worse yet, they advertise for all who pass, including criminals, that no one is currently at the residence.
The Crime Prevention Unit suggests having packages shipped that require a signature upon receipt rather than being left unattended. If that isn’t possible, enlist a friend, neighbor or apartment management office to receive the package while you’re away. Another suggestion is to have the package sent to a shipping company substation such as a UPS store, FedEx Store, local post office or the recipient’s place of employment.
Holiday Package Theft – https://vimeo.com/303527467
Please consider these steps to protect your property from the Grinch and other ugly holiday behavior:
• Track your package and plan to be home when delivered
• Schedule packages to arrive when you are home (may cost extra)
• Have packages shipped so that signature is required, that way, packages won’t be left if you’re not home
• Have packages delivered to a trusted friend, family member or neighbor who will be home
• Have packages delivered to you at work (ask your employer first)
• Send packages to a secure location such as an Amazon locker or UPS Access Point
• Use the ship-to-store method
• If sending a package, pay extra for insurance, tracking and signature required
• Neighbors should be alert of criminal activity and call police if you notice anything suspicious!