Eugene Police received information that an 11-year-old male reported that a man in a van tried to contact him today, October 6, at approximately 8:20 a.m. in the area of W 4th Avenue and Madison Street. The juvenile reported that he was waiting at the bus stop when the male subject waved him over to the vehicle. The vehicle eventually drove away and the juvenile ran to a safe location.
The suspect is described as a white male, late 30s, black short hair, goatee and wearing a multi-colored head band, and was driving a blue and silver van.
If anyone has tips in this case they are asked to call 541.682.5111.
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
- Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
- Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
- Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
- If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
- If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
- Use the buddy system when walking after dark or in ‘fringe’ areas, which are places there are fewer people travelling, allowing them a chance to victimize you without chancing witnesses. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
- Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves.