A Eugene Police School Resource officer was called after a 15-year-old male reported a man tried to grab him today, October 2, at approximately 8:30 a.m. in the 2100 block of Carmel Avenue. The teen reported he was riding his bike and a truck was coming from the opposite direction from him and pulled to the side of the road, partially in the teen’s path of travel. The man got out of the truck and reached for him as he passed, but was not able to touch him.
The suspect is described as a white male, about 50, wearing a dark beanie, with dark hair sticking out of the bottom of the beanie, and a short beard. The man was wearing jeans and an unknown shirt. suspect vehicle is described as a brown 1990s Toyota pickup, with a matching brown canopy. The tires were large and the truck was dirty.
If anyone has tips in this case they are asked to call 541.682.5111. Case 17-16648
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
- Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
- Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
- Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
- If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
- If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
- Use the buddy system when walking after dark or in ‘fringe’ areas, which are places there are fewer people travelling, allowing them a chance to victimize you without chancing witnesses. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
- Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves.