Eugene Police are investigating a report of a 9-year-old female, who was approached by an unknown male subject at a bus stop in the area of River Road and Park Avenue at approximately 7:02 a.m. Police received information that a man walked toward the juvenile at a brisk pace after jumping out of the bushes and she was able to run to a safe location.
The suspect was described as an older white male with a scruffy white beard, wearing a black hat with full brim, blue shirt, brown jacket and blue jeans. If anyone has information in the case, they are asked to call 541.682.5111.
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
- Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
- Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
- Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
- If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
- If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
- Use the buddy system when walking after dark or in ‘fringe’ areas, which are places there are fewer people travelling, allowing them a chance to victimize you without chancing witnesses. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
- Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves.