Eugene Police have been getting media calls regarding the national stories about ‘creepy clowns,’ and are aware of information online at #Wenotclowninaround. Police are also aware of concerns from the public regarding clown sightings in Oregon, but have not received information to suggest that there is a credible threat in Eugene.
However, this is an opportunity, while people are concerned, to remind everyone about the importance of safety and awareness:
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times
• Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
• Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
• Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
• Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
• If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
• If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
• Use the buddy system when walking after dark. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
• Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves