In the last week, police have received information about a white jeep, possibly a 2001 to 2002 model, in the area of 22nd Avenue and Olive Street. The vehicle is reported to have followed a female on each occurrence and the driver of the vehicle is reported to have attempted to make contact with the person both times. On one occasion, the man got out of the vehicle and followed the female, but she was able to find safety when she happened to see a friend nearby.
The suspect is described as a white male, "scruffy" facial hair, medium brown curly hair, basic frame glasses, and has been seen wearing a charcoal grey fleece pullover, dirty jeans and dirty shoes. The male is estimated to be in his late 30`s to early 40`s in age.
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times
• Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
• Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
• Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
• Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
• If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
• If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
• Use the buddy system when walking after dark. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
• Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves