With the ease of the internet, purchases can be made in the convenience of your own home, on your own time, with the rewards showing up on your doorstep. It’s the latter that the Eugene Police would like citizens to be conscious of the associated risks. Packages left unattended on your front steps even for a short while, may just be too attractive for thieves to pass up and worse yet, they advertise for all who pass including criminals, that no one is currently at the residence.
Police Crime Prevention Staff offer the suggestion of having packages shipped and requiring a signature upon receipt rather than being left out, or if that isn’t possible enlist a friend, neighbor or apartment management office to receive the package while you are away. An alternative would also be to have it shipped to a shipping company substation such as a UPS store, FedEx Store, local post office or delivered to work.
These small steps will ensure the package is received by the intended recipient and not in the hands of thieves.
• Track your package and plan to be home when delivered
• Have packages shipped so that signature is required, that way, packages won’t be left if you’re not home
• If you can’t be home, have packages delivered to a friend, family member or neighbor who will be
• If allowed, have packages delivered to you at work
• Ask a trusted neighbor to retrieve and safeguard the package for you
• Have package delivered to the carrier substation or mailbox store
• Use the ship-to store-method
• Neighbors be alert and call police for anything suspicious
• If sending a package, pay extra for insurance, tracking and signature required