Rental Housing Complaint Process
Filing a Complaint
The goal of the Rental Housing Code program is to help renters and owners communicate with each other so they can resolve their issues without further city involvement or legal action.
A complaint may be filed with the City only after the renter has sent written notice to the owner or the property manager, and renter must allow 10 days for the owner to respond to the alleged violation.
To file a complaint related to the structural integrity, heating, plumbing, appliances, weatherproofing, security, electrical, rat prevention, smoke detection, or carbon monoxide detection of a rental:
- Send a written notice to the owner or the property manager
- Allow 10 days for the owner to respond for non-essential services
- Allow 48 hours for the owner to respond for essential services
- If there is no response you can submit a complaint to the City – online or using this form.
- Name of person filing the complaint, and if different, the name of the affected tenant. Complaints may not be submitted anonymously.
- Name of the owner or the owner’s agent.
- Address of the dwelling unit with the alleged violation.
- A complete description of the alleged violation.
- A copy of the written notice of the alleged code violation that has been sent by the tenant to the owner or the owner’s agent.
If City staff determines that the complaint is valid, the responsible party will receive a notice to correct with a description of the violation and 10 days to correct. If staff determines that the required repairs may take longer than ten days, the owner will be asked to submit an acceptable compliance schedule.
Other rental housing issues, like housing discrimination, may be covered by local or federal regulations like the Fair Housing Act. Rental housing discrimination occurs when landlords take actions based on a person’s race, national origin, color, religion, sex, age, source of income, sexual orientation, disability or familial status. Visit our website for more information on Fair Housing.