Container Placement

Residential Container Placement

The City of Eugene sets standards for solid waste and recycling collection. This includes customers responsibilities with regard to placing their containers for collection. Proper can placement adds to the aesthetics of neighborhoods, allows street sweepers and collection vehicles to do their jobs properly, and provides safety to pedestrians and bicycle riders.

Time of Container Placement

Containers may be placed at the curbside no earlier than 7:00 p.m. on the day prior to the customer's regularly scheduled collection. Customers are responsible for removing empty containers from curbside no later than midnight on the day of collection.

Location of Containers

Information about container placement is listed below in order of preference.

Option 1

If you have a grass parking strip between the street and the sidewalk, place your carts and glass container there, as long as the strip is level so the cart is stable. If there is no planting strip, you may place the container on a sidewalk, so long as at least a three foot width of the paved area of the sidewalk remains unobstructed by the collection container.

Option 2

If Option 1 is not possible,put your cart in the street with the wheels against the curb, and place your box for glass flush against the curb. Please keep in mind that this option limits the ability for street sweepers to clean properly, and cuts down on street parking as well.

Option 3

If placing a cart in the street would block a bike path or cause other obstructions, roll your cart and box to your driveway apron. If you don't have a parking strip or sidewalk, or there is no curb, place your cart and box immediately adjacent to the street.

If none of these options is possible, please work with your hauler to agree on a mutually acceptable place. In all cases, please be sure your containers are stable. Please allow for sufficient vertical clearance so that the collection equipment has room to lift and dump the containers without impacting overhead vegetation or wires.

You may report an address that is in violation of these guidelines by submitting a complaint in writing, or filling in the form provided on the website.