Downtown Dog Licensing Zone
New Downtown Dog Licensing Law in Effect - Allowing Only Dogs with Proof-of-License
To help create a safer environment and experience in an area of Downtown with a high concentration of people, City Council approved a new law that prohibits unlicensed dogs within the Downtown Core. The new law went into effect on May 31, 2018.
- Dog owners are required to hold a valid dog license that certifies the dog has been vaccinated for rabies.
- The license must be attached to a collar or harness.
- Any valid dog license that meets this requirement qualifies. Thus visitors to our community are welcome to bring their dog downtown with a valid license from their home jurisdiction.
- Fine for violation of Eugene City Code 4.427 (3) is $125
- Map of the Downtown Core area
Where can I license my dog?
A person can license their dog in the City of Eugene these ways:
Proof of a current rabies vaccination is required for the license and a discount is provided with proof of spay/neuter.
If you are not a resident of the City of Eugene please check with your own local government as to where and how you can register your dog.
Pro-Bone-O, a non-profit organization, who provides veterinary services to pets of people who are un-housed offers free vaccinations and spay/neuter services at their clinic, housed at the Eugene Mission, twice a month (open the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month, and only the 2nd Sunday in Nov/Dec).
This provides an avenue for people who are un-housed to receive the necessary vaccinations and spay/neuter services to receive a dog license.
Doesn't the City of Eugene already require a dog to be licensed?
All dogs in the City of Eugene with a set of permanent canine teeth or 6 months old, whichever comes first, must have a current rabies vaccination and must be licensed with the City of Eugene within 5 days of being in the city. This new ordinance removes the 5-day allowance in the Downtown Core area.
Can I bring my puppy to Downtown Eugene?
Only licensed and vaccinated dogs are allowed in the Downtown Core. If your dog is not yet eligible for vaccination, then it is not eligible to be in the Downtown Core.