Return of the Coffin Races!
Saturday, October 19, 2019
11:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
For the second time in Eugene history, creative community members will race head to head in hand-built coffin-themed race cars down Skinner’s Butte. This Halloween themed soapbox derby heard thousands of excited ghostly screams in 2018, it featured 40 competitive and original teams with roughly 3,000 guests in attendance!
This year is sure not to disappoint! In addition to the white knuckled thrill of the races, friends and families of all ages can get crafty at the Pumpkins & Power Tools exhibit, boogie down to sweet rhythms on site, enjoy locally brewed cider and beer by Wildcraft Ciderworks and The Wheel Apizza pub and eat like the living with local food and coffee options on site while you cheering on your favorite teams!
Registration date: July 18 at 8 am (when the spots fill up, the spots fill up!)
$40 per team • July 18-August 18
$50 per team • August 18-October 1
Team size: 4 (you can have as many people as you want in your support corner, but only 4 can be racers & pushers, supporters will have option to purchase extra shirts through PrintWear of Oregon booth at the event)
Exciting 2019 updates:
- This year we are excited to partner with Eclectic Edge Racing to introduce professional level race timing and scoring using chip-timing technologies (RFID timing tags on bib number plates for each vehicle), as well as live results updates online and personalized results tickets for every team at the end of the event.
- Starter Kits will NOT be offered this year. For race rules and race car build specifications, check out the Coffin Race 2019 Survival Kit.
- All this, and so much more! Pop-up restaurant experiences curated by Venue 252 and The Wheel Apizza Pub, massively-improved safety fencing along the course, twice as many straw bales, bleachers for audience members and more!
- Are you wanting to purchase a 2019 Coffin Race shirt? This year, PrintWear of Oregon will be selling all coffin race merch at the event!
Contestants will race from the Skinner Butte Columns down to the finish line at 3rd & Lincoln. The exhilarating, two-lane course has a short but steep decline followed by a cruisable straightaway. Racer speed will rely on a well-executed 'Push' from a designated 'Team Pusher', as well as coffin design, wheel choice, weight distribution, etc. The course will be lined with hay bales and fencing to ensure maximum safety.
- 200 meters/.2 km/656 ft/219 yards/.15 miles/.32 km/1056 ft/352 yards/7,864 in/20000 cm
- 2 Lanes
- Hay bale/fenced perimeter
All teams are guaranteed three runs before advancing through to the tournament
- Your team will consist of ONE or TWO Racers and ONE Pusher (per race), as well as the rest of your ragtag crew of fixer-uppers, motivators, cheerleaders, etc.
- Each Driver and Pusher must sign the Waiver and Release Agreement prior to the race. The waivers will also be available at check-in. Only drivers and pushers are required to sign a waiver. First car to pass the finish line wins. Drivers and pushers must meet the minimum height requirement of 4' 3".
- HAND FOULS WILL BE REGULATED (SEMI) HEAVILY. Your pusher’s hands may not cross the starting line before letting go of the cart being pushed. You will get a warning the first time it happens, and disqualified from winning your heat after subsequent fouls.
- DOT Helmets, brakes, and steering mechanism are MANDATORY.
- Costumes are highly recommended. Style points will most definitely be docked for dressing as a normal civilian.
- No pedals, motors, engines, nitrous oxide tanks, batteries, hydraulics, etc.
- No intentional lane crossing. No ramming into your competitors or driving them off the road.
For detailed race rules and race car build specifications, check out the Coffin Race 2019 Survival Kit.
Awards will be given in the following categories:
- Speed Demons (fastest team): 1st Place
- Late to the Funeral: 2nd Place
- The Creepy Coupe: Scariest Team
- People's Choice: Democratic vote for the people's favorite coffin!
- The Funny Bone: Funniest Team
- Fresh to Death: Best Dressed Team
- Most Creative Casket: Most creative art-car
- Smells Like Team Spirit: Best Team Spirit
- Reaper’s Choice: Our favorite!
Each driver and pusher must sign the Waiver and Release Agreement prior to the race. The waivers will also be available with registration and at check-in. Only drivers and pushers are required to sign a waiver. Children under 18 must have their liability waiver signed by a parent to be a driver or pusher. Please consider the age and ability of the driver. Drivers must be 4'10" minimum.
Brought to you by the City of Eugene with support from these local businesses. Thank you to our sponsors for making Eugene a great place to live, work and play!