Return of the Coffin Races!
Saturday, October 19, 2019
11:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Thank you for joining us!
The winners this year were...
- Speed Demons (First Place) - #17 Edge Motorsports "Pine Box on Fire"
- Late To The Funeral (Second Place) - #40 Talladega Fights " The Corpse Ride"
- Smells Like Team Spirit (Best Team Spirit) - #5 Eugene Springfield Fire Fighters
- Funny Bone (Funniest) - #15 Eugene Pollen Count "Coffin’ & Sneezin’"
- Most Creative Casket - #10 Dead Bath & Beyond "Roller Toaster"
- The Creepy Coupe (Scariest) - #16 Eugene Skinner and his Willamettiers
- Fresh To Death (Best Dressed) - #24 Oops! All Bowies "The Rock & Roll Suicide"
- Peoples Choice - #34 Land Sharks "No Shame Eugene"
All the Happenings
Event opens at 11:30 a.m.
Opening Ceremony at 11:30 - 11:55 p.m.
Races begin at 12 p.m.
Awards ceremony at 3:30 p.m.
Check out the creative coffins and racers on pit row. Grab a ballot from the trophy tent to vote for People’s Choice.
Food opportunities include:
- Venue 252 - offering a pop-up buffet, with live streaming footage of the Coffin Races, delicious soup, sandwiches and cocktails.
- Wildcraft Cider Garden - experiment with local ciders, beer and wine.
- The Wheel Apizza Pub
- I Scream for Waffles
- Red 5 Hot dogs
- Most Wanted Espresso
- Krob Krua Thai Cuisine
- Decorating your own custom trick-or-treat pillowcase bag
- Pumpkin carving with power tools
- Cookie decorating hosted by Venue 252
- Craft activities hosted by Mecca
- Bounce Gymnastics - bounce away some energy - special rate $5 per person, 1-3 p.m.
- Eugene TAIKO Drummers, opening ceremony 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- DJs from KWVA 88.1 FM, playing spooky surf rock, 12-4 p.m.
- Do you want to purchase a 2019 Coffin Race shirt? PrintWear of Oregon will be selling all coffin race merch at the event. Get ’em while they’re hot!
- Shop over 10 Whiteaker Community Market vendors. Peruse and purchase goods from local makers and artisans.
Awards will be given in the following categories:
- Speed Demons (fastest team): 1st Place
- Late to the Funeral: 2nd Place
- The Creepy Coupe: Scariest Team
- People’s Choice: Democratic vote for the people’s favorite coffin!
- The Funny Bone: Funniest Team
- Fresh to Death: Best Dressed Team
- Most Creative Casket: Most creative art-car
- Smells Like Team Spirit: Best Team Spirit
SMJ Comes to Life (or Death?)
Shelton-McMurphey-Johnson House (303 Willamette St.) hosts an exhibit from 12-4 p.m. We invite you to immerse yourself in the Victorian Mourning rituals and customs. Clothing, food, periods of mourning, photos of the dead. More info
Registration for the 2019 Coffin Races is now full! The Coffin is Closed.
If you are interested in having a team but missed registration please put yourself on our waitlist. We will let you know ASAP if room opens up. You will also be first to know when registration opens up for 2020.
Already have a team?
Download the Coffin Racer Survival Kit and check out the information below.
Mandatory Safety Inspection:
At least one member from each team must attend one of the mandatory safety inspections. Teams will bring in their coffin cars for a pre-event inspection, hosted by Ding Ding Cycles, to make sure vehicles meet all safety requirements. More info about Safety inspections TBA.
The inspections will be at the Wildcraft Ciderworks / Venue 252 parking lot (232 Lincoln Street). The more team members in attendance the better. If you do not attend the meeting your team will not be able to participate in the races.
Drop-in safety inspections:
- October 9, 2:30-6:30 p.m.
- October 10, 2:30-6:30 p.m.
- October 12, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- October 13, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Race Details & Rules
Contestants will race from the Skinner Butte Columns down to the finish line at 3rd & Lincoln. The exhilarating, two-lane course has a short but steep decline followed by a cruisable straightaway. Racer speed will rely on a well-executed ’Push’ from a designated ’Team Pusher’, as well as coffin design, wheel choice, weight distribution, etc. The course will be lined with hay bales and fencing to ensure maximum safety.
- 200 meters/.2 km/656 ft/219 yards/.15 miles/.32 km/1056 ft/352 yards/7,864 in/20000 cm
- 2 Lanes
- Hay bale/fenced perimeter
All teams are guaranteed three runs before advancing through to the tournament
- Your team will consist of ONE or TWO Racers and ONE Pusher (per race), as well as the rest of your ragtag crew of fixer-uppers, motivators, cheerleaders, etc.
- Each Driver and Pusher must sign the Waiver and Release Agreement prior to the race. The waivers will also be available at check-in. Only drivers and pushers are required to sign a waiver. First car to pass the finish line wins. Drivers and pushers must meet the minimum height requirement of 4’ 3".
- HAND FOULS WILL BE REGULATED (SEMI) HEAVILY. Your pusher’s hands may not cross the starting line before letting go of the cart being pushed. You will get a warning the first time it happens, and disqualified from winning your heat after subsequent fouls.
- DOT Helmets, brakes, and steering mechanism are MANDATORY.
- Costumes are highly recommended. Style points will most definitely be docked for dressing as a normal civilian.
- No pedals, motors, engines, nitrous oxide tanks, batteries, hydraulics, etc.
- No intentional lane crossing. No ramming into your competitors or driving them off the road.
- This year we are excited to partner with Eclectic Edge Racing to introduce professional level race timing and scoring using chip-timing technologies (RFID timing tags on bib number plates for each vehicle), as well as live results updates online and personalized results tickets for every team at the end of the event.
- Starter Kits will NOT be offered this year. For race rules and race car build specifications, check out the Coffin Race 2019 Survival Kit.
Each driver and pusher must sign the Waiver and Release Agreement prior to the race. The waivers will also be available with registration and at check-in. Only drivers and pushers are required to sign a waiver. Children under 18 must have their liability waiver signed by a parent to be a driver or pusher. Please consider the age and ability of the driver. Drivers must be 4’10" minimum.
Brought to you by the City of Eugene with support from these local businesses. Thank you to our sponsors for making Eugene a great place to live, work and play!