The issuance of a building permit ensures that appropriate plans have been reviewed and the resulting construction is inspected to satisfy local, State and Federal requirements to safeguard the public health, welfare and safety.
Types of Permits and Plan Review
- Specialty (Trade) Permits – Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits are typically issued over-the-counter or you can apply online through eBuild (Trade permits).
- Express Permits - Some building permits can be applied for, reviewed, and issued the same day. Applications should be submitted through eBuild Opens a New Window. . You will also be able to schedule an appointment time. Review our guidelines for the residential express program and commercial express program to determine if your project qualifies.
- Standard Plan Review - Permits requiring plan review must be submitted online through eBuild. Most projects for new construction or building additions require submission of detailed plans to be reviewed by staff to verify compliance with codes. For additional information regarding the eBuild application, refer to eBuild Help. Intake staff can also work with you to submit your project through eBuild. They can be reached by phone at 541-682-5505 or by email Opens a New Window. . Intake staff are also available at the counter Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
How can you learn more?
- Online – Submit your question online. Questions are usually answered within one business day.
- Phone – Phone calls are typically returned within one business day. Contact staff at 541-682-5505.
- Counter assistance – Staff are available to answer questions regarding building, land use (zoning), and public works standards Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. No appointment is required.
- Meetings - If you are working on a project and have questions, you can schedule a project consultation Opens a New Window. to meet with key staff prior to submitting your application. Meetings are scheduled two weeks in advance. For phased projects and projects with multiple structures on one development site, a project consultation is required prior to submitting an application. If you have questions regarding this service please contact our staff at 541-682-5505 or via email.