The issuance of a building permit ensures that appropriate plans have been reviewed and the resulting construction is inspected to satisfy local, State and Federal requirements to safeguard the public health, welfare and safety.
Types of Permits and Plan Review
- Specialty (Trade) Permits – Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits are typically issued online through eBuild (Trade permits) or you can visit the Permit & Information Center for an over-the-counter permit.
- Over-the-Counter Permits – Simple projects such as a commercial re-roof or enlargement of a window may be issued over the counter.
- Express Permits - Some building permits can be applied for, reviewed, and issued the same day. Review our guidelines for the residential express program and commercial express program to determine if your project qualifies.
- Standard Plan Review – Most projects for new construction or building additions require submission of detailed plans to be reviewed by staff to verify compliance with codes. As of March 1, 2017, commercial and multi-family projects must be submitted through eBuild.
- Apply Online - Permits requiring plan review can also be submitted online through eBuild. Commercial, multi-family, residential, erosion prevention, and signs can be submitted electronically. For additional information regarding the eBuild application, refer to eBuild Help.
How can you learn more?
- Online – Submit your question online. Questions are usually answered within one business day.
- Phone – Phone calls are typically returned within one business day. Contact staff at 541-682-5505.
- Counter assistance – Staff are available to answer questions regarding building, land use (zoning), and public works standards Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. No appointment is required.
- Meetings - If you are working on a project and have questions, you can schedule a project consultation to meet with key staff prior to submitting your application. Meetings are scheduled two weeks in advance. For phased projects, a project consultation is required prior to submitting an application. If you have questions regarding this service please contact our staff at 541-682-5505 or via email.