Street Tree Permits and Fees
The City of Eugene issues permits for pruning, planting and the removal of trees within the public right-of-way, often called street trees. These permits are designed to allow a property owner adjacent to the street tree to hire an ISA Certified Arborist to perform services on street trees when they meet the criteria for having work done to them but would otherwise fall low on our priority for maintenance. Permits are issued on a case-by-case basis and only after an inspection by a City of Eugene ISA Certified Arborist. Permits are administered by the Vegetation Management Program. Permits can only be administered to the property owner adjacent to the street tree. Note, the application is NOT the permit. Permits are signed by both the City of Eugene and the property owner adjacent to the street tree.
For Property Owners Adjacent to Street Tree
Only certain species of trees can be planted in the right-of-way – based on planter strip or right-of-way width and site suitability.
Permits are required prior to the pruning, removal or planting of any street trees located within the public right-of-way See the following applications, forms, and informational materials:
- Pruning Preservation Application - Issued when a property owner, adjacent to a planter strip or section of right-of-way, wants to be able to have a street tree(s) pruned by an ISA Certified Arborist when Urban Forestry staff will not be able to respond to a service request quickly. These permits include root pruning.
- Street Tree Planting Application - Issued when a property owner, adjacent to a planter strip or section of right-of-way, wants to be able to plant a street tree(s). City of Eugene will grind stumps in the right-of-way for permitted replanting.
- Street Tree Removal Application - Issued when a property owner, adjacent to a planter strip or section of right-of-way, wants to be able to remove a street tree(s) that Urban Forestry would otherwise remove. These permits are for situations not related to construction activities. Removal permit calendar.
Note - not all removal permits are granted, and removal permits for street trees are solely determined by Urban Forestry staff. Unpermitted removals may result in the City of Eugene recouping the appraised value of the street tree(s).
For any street tree removed, a replacement street tree must be planted unless there is no suitable planting site in the right-of-way – determined by Urban Forestry staff.
Material for Developers
- Application for Street Tree Agreement
- Planned Unit Development, Tentative
- Checklists and Process Maps for Street Tree Planting Agreements
- Narrative Report Street Trees and Process Maps for City-plant Option and Developer-plant Option Street Tree Agreements
- Tree Protection Zone LS120
- Initial Planting Report
- Final Inspection Report