Short-Term Rentals in Eugene

Information on the Council Review of Short-Term Rental Regulations

Short-Term Rental Ordinance {PDF}

Below is a quick summary of the current rules related to short-term rentals. We also encourage all short-term rental owners to be considerate of their neighbors.

NEW – Short-Term Rental Registration

The Eugene City Council has adopted an ordinance that requires all short-term rentals (STRs) in the City of Eugene to register annually. It’s a short and easy process, and there is no registration fee. 

Register online

Generally, the registration will be required each year by January 1. Because this is the first year this requirement is in effect, you may register between now and March 31, 2021 and still be compliant with the annual registration requirement.

The only information that is required for registration is the name of the owner/operator, address of the short-term rental, and whether the STR is owner-occupied. There is also a requirement to provide a name and local contact number for the STR in the event that there are questions or complaints.

If you have a complaint or concern specific to a STR, please contact Code Compliance staff at 541-682-5819 or via email.

Learn More

  • For questions regarding the process and history of Eugene’s STR  registration requirements, please contact Lydia Bishop at or at 541-682-5482. 
  • For questions about the registration process, please contact Jimi Parker at or at 541-682-5379.

Transient Room Tax

The transient room tax (TRT) is a 4.5% tax charged on all overnight stays in the city, including hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals, and short-term rentals. Revenue from the TRT helps fund Eugene’s Cultural Services programs and supports tourism and visitor programs in Eugene.

All rental facilities must be registered with the City to collect TRT. 

Access the registration form and information on how to pay the TRT

Once a completed registration form is received, a Certificate of Authority is issued to the operator. This certificate must be displayed at the rental property.

Occupancy Limits

Occupancy limits help ensure the health and safety of residents and protect the quality and livability of our neighborhoods and community. In Eugene, a family of any number can live or up to five unrelated people are allowed per home. For short-term rentals, it is important to be aware of this limit when renting a room or home.

Overnight Camping

Eugene does allow overnight camping on residential property in a vehicle, camper, or trailer parked in the driveway of a single family dwelling. Only one camping shelter is allowed and the property cannot require payment for the camping. This means that a trailer or camper on residential property cannot be used as short-term rental. This also applies to "tiny houses" that are on wheels and therefore considered a type of camping trailer.

Rental Housing Code

Eugene’s Rental Housing Code applies to long-term rentals. If you plan on renting a facility for over 30 days, then this code would apply. Learn more about the Rental Housing Code.


Land Use

Transient Room Tax