1059 Willamette Street

Request for Proposals (RFP) for Redevelopment

The City of Eugene invites proposals for the development of a mixed-income housing project at 1059 Willamette Street. Submissions are due February 2, 2021. Once the RFP closes, an Evaluation Committee will score proposals, and the community will have the opportunity to provide comments. City Council will make the final decision on which proposal will move forward.


RFP Documents

Request for Proposals (RFP) Document

Appendix A - Word Version

Appendix B - Excel Version

Q&A - uploaded 12/21/2020


Additional Resource Documents

Environmental Assessment Summary

Stormwater Report

Stormwater Operations and Maintenance

Existing Building Floor Plans

Historic Facade Materials Assessment Findings Report

State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) Clearance Request Documents

Stantec's Environmental Assessment Reports:





Questions about the RFP opportunity can be submitted to adsouza@eugene-or.gov.


1059 Willamette building, old LCC building
  1. Overview and Project Updates
  2. Project Vision
  3. Downtown Urban Renewal

Background

The building at 1059 Willamette Street served as the Lane Community College (LCC) Downtown Center until 2012 when LCC moved in to their new Downtown Campus at 10th and Olive. In April 2019, the City submitted a letter of interest to LCC for purchase of the site. In May 2019, the LCC Board approved sale of the site to the City of Eugene. On January 29, 2020 City Council approved the use of federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) dollars to purchase the 1059 Willamette Street site. (The meeting materials and webcast can be found here.) The City acquired the building in April 2020.


Proposed Project: Mixed-Income Housing

The use of CDBG funds requires that the site be used for housing and that at least 51% of the units must be affordable to households earning 80% of Area Median Income. The City of Eugene is proposing redevelopment of the site into a mixed income housing project, where 51% of the units would meet the CDBG income requirements, and the other 49% could be rented at market rates. (See Project Vision tab for more information.) At their January 29 work session, Council approved the use of a Request for Proposals process for redevelopment of the site.


Downtown Urban Renewal

In 2016, the City of Eugene’s Urban Renewal Agency (Agency) identified the property as one of four projects in the 2016 Downtown Urban Renewal Plan amendment to be eligible for Agency resources to assist in the property’s redevelopment. The 2016 Downtown Urban Renewal Plan Amendment requires that the City undertake a number of community engagement activities before Urban Renewal funds can be used for the project. On September 30, the Agency Board passed a motion to make $700K of Urban Renewal tax increment funds available with the RFP. (See Urban Renewal tab for more information.)


Current Updates

On September 30, Council/Agency Board took several steps needed to move forward with issuing the Request for Proposals. Council approved the RFP criteria that will be used to evaluate proposals. Council/Agency Board also passed two motions to identify $1.1M of available funding in the RFP. This includes:

  •  Estimated $400K of the Gordon Lofts MUPTE Moderate-Income Housing Fee (Information on MUPTE program)
  • $700K of Downtown Urban Renewal tax increment funds (see Urban Renewal tab for more information)

The City is now seeking prospective developers through a competitive Request for Proposals (RFP). The RFP was released on November 19 and proposals are due February 2, 2021.  An Evaluation Committee will score and rank submitted proposals, staff will ask the public for feedback, and City Council will decide which proposal to move forward with.  City staff are working to select a developer by March 2021.


Click here to join the 1059 Willamette Interest Parties email list.

Contact Us

  1. Amanda D'Souza


    Business Development Analyst
    99 W 10th Ave
    Eugene, OR 97401
    Ph: 541-682-5540
    Fx: 541-682-5572
    Email

HTS for web

This initiative contributes to increasing housing affordability, availability, and diversity of type. 

Find out more by clicking here.