Urban Renewal in Eugene
Urban Renewal or Tax Increment Financing is a tool used by municipalities to finance improvements and redevelop in specific areas of a city by reinvesting the increase in the area’s property taxes. Eugene has two urban renewal districts: the Downtown Urban Renewal District and the Riverfront Urban Renewal District. More information about both districts can be found below.
What’s Happening with Riverfront Urban Renewal?
Learn more about what is currently happening with the Riverfront Urban Renewal District on the Downtown Riverfront webpage, or click below to read about some of the guiding documents for the district:
Learn more about the Riverfront Urban Renewal Advisory Committee (River Guides) who advise the Agency Board on activities in the District.
2016 Downtown Urban Renewal Plan Amendment
On June 13, 2016 Council amended the Downtown Urban Renewal Plan, which makes the four projects below eligible for urban renewal funds. Visit the links below to learn more about the projects:
- High-Speed Fiber
- Farmers Market Space Improvements
- Lane Community College (LCC) Old Building Redevelopment
- Park Blocks & Open Space Improvements
In addition, the approved amendment:
- Outlines a required community engagement and public hearing process Opens a New Window. before the City Council, acting as the Agency Board, can take action to fund the projects (except high-speed fiber Opens a New Window. ).
- Increases the spending limit (the amount that can be spent on the projects) to $19.4 million; and
- Expands the district boundary Opens a New Window. by five acres to incorporate the eastern Park Block area and a portion of the City Hall block.
A summary of City Council work sessions January through June 13, 2016 can be found here Opens a New Window. .
Community Review Panel
Learn more about projects approved by the Urban Renewal Agency Board and expenditures in the Downtown Urban Renewal District in the Expenditure Review Panel Reports listed below.
How You Can Participate
Interested in staying up to date on the latest Downtown Improvement projects? Click here Opens a New Window. or text DTWNPROJ to 22828 to subscribe to the City of Eugene Downtown Improvement Projects Mailing List!