- Final Report - Revenue Team (Posted 4/11/2014)
The Revenue Team is one part of a multi-faceted approach designed to address a long-term sustainable financial strategy for the City of Eugene. Other components of the approach include a series of meetings to gather input about the community's perspective on the budget (view the workshop notes), a Finance Investigative Team to review potential budget savings items in a fact finding effort, media outreach about the Budget Committee's activities to keep the community informed and engaged, a series of Budget Committee work sessions to develop FY15 budget balancing options and public hearings on potential budget strategies.
The Revenue Team will identify potential General Fund revenue strategies that might make sense for the Budget Committee and City Council to consider.
Meeting 1 - January 30, 2014
- General Fund Six-Year Forecast Update Presentation to Budget Committee. This presentation to the Budget Committee sets out basic information about the City’s budget situation.
- Eugene’s 2015 General Fund Budget Gap. This handout is being used by the Budget Committee to explain Eugene’s recent budget history and current situation to community members.
- Budget Committee Process: Development of FY15 Solutions. This graphic sets out the overall approach that the Budget Committee has been using to develop FY15 budget solutions. The overall approach was developed by the Budget Committee Planning Team, consisting of Mayor Piercy, (then) Council President George Poling, Budget Committee Chair Laura Illig and City Manager Jon Ruiz.
- Revenue Team Scope. This document was developed by the Budget Committee Planning Team to define and guide the work of the Revenue Team. This provides the Revenue Team with the Budget Committee’s expectations for completing their analysis and making recommendations to the Budget Committee.
- City Council Agenda Item Summary for January 13 Work Session. At this work session, City Council considered several policy items that the Budget Committee referred to them for decisions on how to proceed. At that meeting, City Council agreed with the staff recommendation to refer three items to the Revenue Team: increase the Transient Room Tax, create a business license fee and create a bicycle registration fee.
- Finance Investigative Team Report. This report, which was part of the Budget Committee’s overall plan for examining potential budget solutions, looks at 31 different items and provides an analysis of each. The report includes the FIT’s analysis of the proposal to increase the Transient Room Tax, among other items.
- Meeting the Challenge Task Force Report. This report, completed in 2009, was developed by a task force created by City Manager Jon Ruiz in order to examine potential revenue raising ideas for balancing the General Fund budget. This report has been used as background information on new revenue sources since that time, including as background for a City Council Subcommittee on Homelessness.
- Memo: General Fund Revenue Alternatives. Previously identified possible revenue alternatives for the City’s General Fund. Designed to be a starting point for the Revenue Team's discussion and brainstorming.
Meeting 1 Minutes
Meeting 2 - February 5, 2014
- Meeting packet. This packet includes background materials for the February 5 meeting. Included is an agenda, revised Revenue Team scope, minutes from Meeting 1, a list of revenue options, background on items reviewed by the FIT and Budget Committee or City Council, and preliminary analysis on the following items: bicycle registration fee, business license fee, city service fee, heavy vehicle tax, local option property tax levy, motor vehicle rental tax, personal income tax, restaurant tax, sales tax, solid waste collection tax, special districts, transient room tax, and utility consumption tax.
Meeting 3 - February 20, 2014
- Meeting packet. This packet includes background materials for the February 20 meeting. Included is an agenda, a list of revenue options, responses to questions, minutes from Meeting 2, and preliminary analysis on the following items: admissions tax, business gross receipts tax, commuter tax, corporate income tax, e-cigarette tax, EWEB CILT, luxury tax, parking tax, payroll tax, red light cameras, sales tax, solid waste collection fee, special districts, transient room tax, user fees and service charges, and utility consumption tax.
Meeting 4 - March 13, 2014
- Meeting packet. This packet includes background materials for the March 13 meeting. Included is an agenda, responses to questions, and preliminary analysis on the following items: parking funds, paper bag fee, red light cameras, solid waste collection fee, user fees and service charges, and utility consumption tax.
- Draft summary of comments. An initial draft of comments by the team on the revenue options that have been reviewed.
CANCELED: Meeting 5 - March 20, 2014
The Revenue Team completed their work at Meeting 4 on March 13, 2014, resulting in cancellation of the unnecessary fifth meeting.