The EUG Parade 2019
Eugene’s Animal-Friendly, Human-Powered Parade and Pet Promenade
- Date: Sunday September 22, 2019
- Time: 11 am- 12 pm
- EUG Parade Start & End: 8th & Willamette
- Pet Promenade Start & End: 8th & Willamette (start) Monroe Park (end)
Eugene Has a Parade, and It’s EUG!
The EUG Parade returns Sunday, September 22 beginning at 11:00 a.m. at Eugene’s Park Blocks. The
EUG Parade and Pet Promenade—an animal-friendly mosey followed by a human-powered (non-motorized) parade—proceeds west on 8th Avenue turning south on to Monroe Street, then east on Broadway to Lincoln where the route heads back to 8th Avenue and ends back at the Park Blocks in Downtown Eugene. The Pet Promenade disperses at Monroe Park.
The EUG Parade is coordinated by a community committee and the City of Eugene Transportation, in partnership with City of Eugene Parking. The parade precedes Eugene Sunday Streets Downtown where participants can ride, roll and walk to discover active transportation in a fun, car-free environment.
EUG Parade Applications CLOSED
Come out and enjoy the parade Sunday, September 22nd!
EUG Parade Theme
This year's theme is Steppin' Out! Take the 2019 theme phrase and tailor it to your entry! Steppin' Out is about representing your Eugene and all that makes us unique and quirky. When you're Steppin' Out on the parade route, think glam, bling, and shiny things. If you're marching or dancing, share your fancy footwork, choreography and style.
The Pet Promenade theme is Stepping Out: Tails, Tutus & Tiaras – so dress your animals, your kids, and yourself in your red carpet finest. Show up between 10:30-11:15 am to check in and take photos with SLUG Queens. The Pet Promenade will disperse at Monroe Park, where we will choose the pet entry that did the best job of Stepping Out. There will also be lots of pet-related vendors and activities for families. We encourage early (free) registration to avoid lines and to get a free swag bag!
Pet Promenade Applications CLOSED
Come out and enjoy the parade and pet promenade Sunday, September 22nd!
NOTE: All animals must be friendly and on leashes or other method of containment for the safety of pets, participants and audience members.
EUG Parade Guidelines
The EUG Parade is limited to a maximum of 100 entries. A selection committee of parade veterans reviews all applications. The selection committee reserves the right to choose only those entries that meet the criteria established in this application. Please complete your applications with as much detail as possible, as acceptance of your entry is based only on the information you provide to us.
Entry is well–designed and has an exceptional central theme or idea. We get your message in 20 seconds!
Adherence to Theme
Entry uniquely incorporates the parade theme for that year (Steppin' Out for 2019)
The entry is fun, clever, and well–received by an audience. You make us want to stand up and cheer!
Entry easily travels the parade route, meets size restrictions and is human-powered or propelled.
Use of Sound
Recorded or live music, use of instruments, chants/singing, or other audio is effectively used by your entry.
There is an interesting, unusual and exciting routine performed consistently throughout the parade route.
Costumes are original in nature, unusual and/or well designed. Props are inventive, and are large enough to be visible to the audience.
Maximum Dimensions for Route Safety
- Maximum width: 16 feet
- Maximum height: 13 feet
- Maximum length: 60 feet
- Minimum frame clearance to the ground: 10 inches
NOTE: All entries must be non-motorized and human powered.* No automobiles, trucks or other such non-human powered vehicles are allowed due to the scale/footprint of The EUG Parade.Questions? Email us.
Choreographed and costumed participants performing (marching, dancing, roller skating, etc.) consistently throughout the parade. Sound may be incorporated and props carried.
One or more focal points surrounded by smaller units. The central unit can be human-powered accompanied by marchers. Creative costuming and decorations win the day!
Unique Non-Motorized Vehicles
Human propelled vehicles (see note above). Decorate and coordinate your bicycles, scooters, strollers, skateboards, pedicabs, kinetic sculptures, wagons and wheelbarrows.
Individuals may participate in the Pet Promenade, however, for larger animals or groups/clubs with horses, camels, llamas, etc., participants must be in costume and provide their own Pooper Scoopers, removing all animal waste in the staging area and along the parade route; no exceptions. All animals must be on leashes or contained for their safety, and the safety of participants and audience members.
Musical bands include school marching bands (and any accompanying drill teams or dance teams), community musical organizations, and other types of entrants using music as their primary focus (jazz bands, rock bands, a capella groups, classical groups, etc.).
*Electric assist bicycles and mobility devices are acceptable. Email us with questions
There are four fee-based categories (school bands do not pay an entry fee). First determine the type of entry you plan to enter and then determine your fee category.
Credit Card: Make a Credit Card payment over the phone at 541-682-5291.
Check: Send a check payable with "EUG Parade Entry Fee" on your check’s memo line to:
City of Eugene
Transportation Planning Office
Attention: Eugene Sunday Streets
99 E. Broadway, Suite 400
Eugene, OR 97401
Any and all not-for-profit businesses and organizations. Includes churches, schools, community organizations, nonprofit agencies, neighborhood groups, government agencies and private individuals.
- Early bird fee paid by August 16: $35
- Fee paid after August 16: $50
Any and all for-profit businesses and organizations. Any entry that displays an advertising message.
- Early bird fee paid by August 16: $75
- Fee paid after August 16: $100
New! Parade Partners Entry
Open to any business that joins with a nonprofit organization or school group, creating one entry and a single fee. Businesses can help showcase an organization or group that may not have the capacity to participate otherwise. It is the responsibility of the business and nonprofit/school group to create the partnership. Either partner may complete and return the application. Include both partners’ contact information on your entry. Select a primary contact to receive your official staging number and day of event information.
- Early bird fee paid by August 16: $50
- Fee paid after August 16: $75
Any and all candidates running for political office, or currently holding an office, in any parade unit.
- Fee: $100
Any and all school bands entering the parade do not pay an entry fee.
The EUG Parade will be judged by an exceptional panel of community members, including an all youth judging panel for the Kids Are Best award.
The EUG Parade awards participant recognition tokens to all entrants, and cash prizes to formally registered parade entrants that are highly entertaining and best represent the award’s category. Entries are judged on entertainment value to the audience, creativity and concept, audience reaction, and enthusiasm of the parade entrant(s).
- Best of Show: The SLUG Award
- Best View: Best Decorated Entry
- Best Dressed: Best Use of Costuming
- Best in Step: Best Marching
- Best Laughs: Best Use of Humor
- Best Listening: Best Use of Live Sound
- Judges Know Best: Judges’ Choice
- Kids are Best: Best Youth Entry (Judged by kids!)
- All applications must be received by September 13, 2019, and are subject to review by the The EUG Parade Selection Committee.
- Entries must observe all applicable rules, regulations and policies or be barred from the parade. The EUG Parade Committee reserves the right to remove from the parade, either prior to assembly, at assembly or any time during the parade, any entrant not conforming to the rules, regulations and policies, or any entrant refusing to follow instructions of police or parade officials. The Parade Selection Committee must approve all entries before entering the parade route. Failure to adhere to the rules, regulations and policies may result in a one year suspension from participation in The EUG Parade. The EUG Parade reserves the right to deny participation, day of parade, if entry details vary from original accepted application.
- Absolutely no material may be handed out or thrown along the parade route. Parade entrants are prohibited from distributing merchandise, gifts, candy, literature or other such materials.
- Parade delay caused by an entry may result in a deduction in judging or disqualification from competition. Any entry stopping in front of the judges to specially perform or to bribe the judges will automatically be disqualified from competition for awards. All entries must maintain forward motion during the parade.
- Alcoholic beverages and other controlled substances are forbidden in any entry or on the person of any entry participant. Participants consuming alcohol prior to parade start will not be permitted to enter the parade route, and persons using alcohol or other controlled substances during the parade will be removed.
- Parade participants acknowledge the the EUG Parade is a family-oriented event. The EUG Parade reserves the right, in its sole discretion, and at any time, including the day of the parade, to disallow parade entries that it deems offensive or unduly divisive. Entries may be historical, humorous or modern in design. Those planning entries should remember a large part of the audience will be children.
- In order to be accepted you must complete the description section of the application. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
- Best of Show: The SLUG Award – Comunidad Latino
- Best View: Best Decorated Entry – Candice Westburg Balloon Costumes
Best View: Best Decorated Entry Runner-up – City of Eugene Love Food Not Waste
- Best Decorated: Best Use of Costumes — Pagan Pride
Best Decorated: Best Use of Costumes Runner-up — Eugene Ballet
- Best In Step: Best Marching — One More Time Marching Band
Best In Step: Best Marching Runner-up — Ritta's Burritos
- Best Laughs: Best Use of Humor — Emerald Valley Pickleball Club
Best Laughs: Best Use of Humor Runner-up — The Rickities
- Best Listening: Best Use of Sound — Jefferson Westside Neighbors with Samba Ja
Best Listening: Best Use of Sound Runner-up — Eugene Bhangra
- Judges' Know Best: Judges' Choice — 350.org Eugene Chapter
Judges' Know Best: Judges' Choice Runner-up — SLUG Queens
- Kids Are Best: Best Youth Entry — U.S. Tae Kwon Do College
Kids Are Best: Best Youth Entry Runner-up — Healthy Moves with NextStep (Parade Partners)