Home Vacation Check Program
Seniors on Patrol, trained volunteers from the Eugene Police Department, will perform a thorough inspection of your property while you are away on vacation. Vacation checks entail a visual exterior check of your home and outbuildings and ensuring that vehicles, gates, lighting and the general security of the home is intact and in accordance with the request. Whenever a vacation check reveals something suspicious, volunteers are trained to back out of the immediate area and request a patrol officer be dispatched to investigate further. Vacation checks will be performed, as staffing allows, with the goal of checking the home 1 to 2 times each week that you are gone (with a maximum of 45 days). Upon your return, you will receive a letter detailing the dates/times that your home was checked along with any notations made by the volunteers.
Senior Patrol Volunteers work in pairs, drive specially marked police vehicles and wear uniforms that clearly identify them as police volunteers. They will park a discreet distance from your home whenever possible and will walk into the property. Vacation checks are a free service which could not be offered by the Eugene Police Department without assistance from this volunteer team. Volunteer at EPD
- For City of Eugene residents only (the property must be in the incorporated area of Eugene).
- For vacations of a minimum 7 days and a maximum of 45 days. We are not able to accommodate consecutive requests to cover a longer period of time.
- For individual private residential properties only. Apartments in multi-unit buildings, business locations, vacant properties, and homes for sale are not eligible for vacation checks.
- Homes with a house sitter or other guest(s) staying in them are not eligible for vacation checks.
- Applications must be submitted at least one week before your departure. If you submit your application online, you will receive a confirmation that the application has been received and will be processed. Telephone requests for vacation checks cannot be accepted.
- To report that you are home early or if you wish to extend your vacation check (within the 45 day maximum), please call Program Manager Harlow Meno at (541)-682-5642.
Please fill-out the attached application as completely and as detailed as possible. The information you provide will help us reach you or your Emergency Contact/Local Key Holder should we run into a problem. Knowing these details will help us verify information and identify others who have access to your home. The information you provide will be safeguarded and kept confidential.
For additional questions about this program, email Program Manager Harlow Meno or call 541-682-5642.