Recycling in Eugene
In Eugene, curbside recycling service is included in the cost of garbage collection. Most recyclable materials accepted should be commingled in your curbside bin, with glass collected in a separate container.
Statewide Changes to Recycling Systems: July of 2025
In 2022, Oregon's legislature passed the Recycling Modernization Act to update our state's recycling system by leveraging packaging producer resources to create more resilient and comprehensive recycling opportunities for Oregon residents in the future. These recycling program changes will being in July 2025 and will expand access to recycling services, upgrade recycling sorting facilities, and reduce plastic pollution. Information on how this new law will affect how we recycle in Eugene will be available here as changes are implemented locally.
Sign up for updates on this new law from Oregon DEQ.
Know Before You Throw
Contamination reduces the economy and effectiveness of our recycling system. Any items that are not clearly listed in the section below should not be placed in commingled recycling bins. Items that are not clearly recyclable should be put in the trash—when in doubt, find out or throw it out. You can also download our Recycling Flyer that shows what items are accepted and what items are not. Traducción al español aquí.
Lane County's Waste Wise tool can give you more information about what can currently be recycled and where. Simply type the name of the items you have a question about recycling into the tool below. This tool can also help you find out how to make an appointment to dispose of hazardous waste or report illegal dumping, and more.
Below is a current list of what can be recycled curbside in Eugene:
In Your Commingled Container
Please place the following items in commingled recycling bins:
- Newspaper, ads and inserts, direct mail, magazines, and catalogues
- Flattened cardboard boxes and empty pizza boxes
- Cereal, cracker, and shoe boxes (chipboard)
- Office paper
- Paperboard/cardboard egg cartons
- Steel and aluminum cans
- Certain plastic containers are accepted: beverage bottles and jugs, shampoo, hand soap, and other personal care and cleaning product bottles, condiment jars such as peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc.
Separate From the Rest of Your Recycling
- Glass- Unbroken bottles and jars only. They must be separated from the rest of your material and placed in the glass bin.
- Used Motor Oil- Store in an unbreakable container with a screw top. Ask your hauler where to place the container.
Items that are NOT Accepted in our Recycling Stream:
- Plastic tubs
- Take out containers/boxes and single use cups/disposable coffee cups and lids
- Aseptic containers (such as milk cartons or shelf stable soy milk containers)
- Shredded paper
- How do I order residential garbage and recycling service?
- Why should I recycle?
- Is food waste collection available in the City of Eugene?
- What items are accepted into commingled curbside recycling collection?
- How do I properly dispose of and/or recycle items that are not accepted into the commingled recycling bins?
Waste Prevention & Green Building
Waste Prevention Program Coordinator
99 W. 10th Ave.
Eugene, OR 97401