Library services for residents are supported by City of Eugene taxes. Library cards are free to all City of Eugene residents and property owners. Regardless of address, library cards are free for all students enrolled in Eugene School District 4J and Bethel School District, and all children from birth up to kindergarten who live in those school districts. Additionally, all 4J and Bethel educators and staff can get a free library card for work use.
If you live outside the City of Eugene and do not qualify for a free card, you are welcome to visit the library and use most of our resources and services. To receive full services and borrowing ability, you can purchase a library card.
Who is a resident?
- Anyone who resides within the City of Eugene limits.
- Anyone who owns or pays taxes on property located within the City of Eugene limits, regardless of place of residence, and anyone in that person’s household.
Note: some locations have a Eugene mailing address but are located outside the City limits. Check whether your residential address is inside City limits.
How do non-residents get a library card?
- Call to sign up: 541-682-5450. You can pay with a credit card by phone. You will be able to begin using online resources and placing hold requests immediately.
- The non-resident fee is $11 per month. One fee covers individual cards for all members of a household.
- To borrow physical items, bring your library card and your Oregon driver license/ID. (If you do not have an Oregon driver license/ID: other documents we can accept.)
- If you are not able to pay with a credit card by phone, you can pay in person with cash, check, traveler’s check, cashier’s check, money order, credit card, or debit card.
How do I renew my non-resident library card?
- To continue using your library card, call to renew your card before the expiration date. You can pay with a credit card by phone.
- You do not need to visit the library unless you want to borrow physical items.
- To borrow physical items, bring your library card and your Oregon driver license/ID. (If you do not have an Oregon driver license/ID: other documents we can accept. )
How do I purchase a gift certificate for a non-resident card?
Gift certificates are available for $11 per month. Purchase gift certificates in person, by phone or by mail.
By mail: send a check (not credit card information) to Eugene Public Library, Attn: Circulation, 100 West 10th Avenue, Eugene, Oregon 97401. Include the name and mailing address of the recipient, as well as your own contact information. The library will send the gift certificate to the recipient.
How is the amount of the non-resident fee determined?
Residents and non-residents pay approximately the same amount, one through taxes and the other through the non-resident fee.
What are other options for non-residents?
In many parts of the U.S., local governments establish agreements with one another to allow everyone access to nearby library services. However, many areas near Eugene are represented by governments that do not contribute funds to the City of Eugene’s library.
Eugene Public Library would like to see everyone have full access to public library services. If you live within Lane County, you may want to share your views with your county commissioner. The commissioners are the elected officials who would need to take action to extend full public library services to everyone in the county. The local organization addressing this situation is the Lane Library League. Eugene Public Library supports and assists the league’s work.