What Are The Benefits of 20-Minute Neighborhoods?
Find Out More About 20-Minute Neighborhoods
There are many benefits to 20-minute neighborhoods and we have provided just a few.
- The average resident of a walkable neighborhood has a healthier body weight than someone who lives in a less walkable neighborhood.
- Our local air quality can be improved by reducing reliance on automobiles, a primary source of air pollutants in Lane County.
- Homes and businesses located in walkable neighborhoods tend to retain higher property values than those that aren’t.
- The average direct price of maintaining and operating a car in the US is $8,487 and costs are even higher for vans and trucks. Owning and operating an average bicycle costs a fraction of that at around $400. Walking can also be extremely low cost transportation.
- Millions of dollars are spent at the pump each year in Eugene and at least $0.70 of every dollar spent on gas and diesel immediately leaves Eugene. When families save money on fuel, those dollars can continue to circulate in our community supporting jobs and stimulating more economic activity.
- Businesses located in 20 minute neighborhoods benefit from an increased customer base.
- Studies show that people who spend less time in daily car commutes spend more time in community activities.
- Communities with high levels of pedestrian travel tend to be safer than those without.
Active modes of transportation such as walking and biking can significantly decrease emissions of greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change.