Risk Services Mission Statement
Risk Services provides strategic guidance and advice to the organization on risk issues in order to assist the organization in achieving its goals. Our goal is to foster a culture of proactive risk management throughout the organization, creating an environment where risks and opportunities are identified and managed effectively.
In addition, Risk Services assists the organization in safeguarding the City’s property, financial and human resources from the adverse impact of loss by purchasing insurance, responding to and resolving risk claims and developing programs, plans and procedures to make the organization healthy, safe and more resilient.
• Liability, Property, Unemployment and Workers’ Compensation Insurance
• Employee Benefits - Health, Life and Disability Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Deferred Compensation, Employee Assistance Program, Family Medical Leave (FMLA & OFLA)
• Employee Health & Fitness
• Safety, Loss Control and Environmental Services
• Emergency Management
Info and Resources
2018 Risk Report
This reference and resource tool was designed to help executive managers, division managers and supervisors understand and manage their risk-related exposures and losses. The Risk Report is updated at the end of each fiscal year and includes:
- Department/division claims frequency and severity data for the following programs: liability, property, unemployment and workers' compensation.
- Experience data related to the safety/loss control, emergency management, health and fitness, and employee benefits programs.
Risk Management Accomplishments
City of Eugene Achieves Silver Safety Award
In October 2015 the League of Oregon Cities and Citycounty Insurance Services (CIS) recognized the safe work performance by City of Eugene employees with a Silver Safety Award. The City has received a safety award annually since 2000. The award is based upon the number of lost-time injury cases per 100 employees.
Risk Management Awards
Risk Services staff continually look for ways to improve our program and services. In 2014, a study of Police officer workers’ compensation claims was conducted to formulate injury prevention strategies. The study won an honorable mention from the Public Risk Management Association (PRIMA) in 2015 for Outstanding Achievement in the Public Risk Management Product category.
PRIMA has also awarded Risk Services achievement awards for the annual Risk Report and a first place award for the Insurance Marketing Manual.
City of Eugene Named Among Top Ten Healthiest Employers in Oregon
In 2015, the City of Eugene was named one of Oregon’s Top Ten Healthiest Employers of its size by the Portland Business Journal. The award was created to recognize organizations with innovative wellness programs and worksite wellness initiatives