Eugene Municipal Court resumes limited services
Beginning Wednesday, June 17, the Eugene Municipal Court will reopen in a limited capacity. Court staff are rescheduling citations issued during the closure of the court building. The court will see people according to the following schedule:
June 17 – July 2
Note: Only those with court business will be allowed in the building.
8 a.m.: Court doors open.
8:30 a.m.: Scheduled Violation Arraignments. Those who appear on the date referenced in their citation will be given priority entry.
9-11 a.m.: Walk-ins permitted up to capacity allowed for Phase 2 COVID-19 restrictions.
1 p.m.: Scheduled Misdemeanor Arraignments. Those who appear on the date referenced in their citation will be given priority entry.
1:30-3 p.m.: Walk-ins permitted up to capacity allowed for Phase 2 COVID-19 restrictions.
The court will see individuals by appointment only. All persons cited or otherwise ordered by the court to appear will take priority for entry over most other matters appearing at the courthouse. No visitors will be allowed in the building.
All non-essential jury trials are currently being scheduled in November 2020 or later. If someone is called to serve as a juror, they should call the number on their summons to confirm their final juror instructions. Jury rooms have been modified to allow for six feet of distancing, face coverings are required, and rooms have been sanitized and are not in use except for essential jury trials.
Effective July 20, the court will resume normal course for processes related to late fees, collections, and license suspensions.
The court has created several ways to resolve citations remotely:
- Payments for parking, violations, and crimes can be paid online.
- Those who believe they qualify for fine reduction or deferral programs may mail, email, or use the court dropbox for a clerk review. This may also be completed using the Municipal Court’s online form.
- Those who would like to dispute citations can request a trial to be set via email, mail, or placed in the dropbox outside of the courthouse. The court will respond to the dispute in writing: please make sure there is a correct address in the correspondence. This may also be completed using the Municipal Court’s online form.
- Those with pending criminal cases should contact their defense attorney.
Court Appointed Attorney Contacts
- Eckart Wostmann Wiese (541) 689-3261
- Rosta & Connelly (541)541 343-8111
- Jessica Saydack (541)852-2141
Municipal Court COVID-19 limitations and safety precautions for limited reopening
- The court is limiting the numbers of non-employees in the building to 20 people.
- All in-person appearances are available for public viewing on YouTube Live. All telephonic and virtual appearances will be available for public viewing on YouTube Live and/or Zoom. The information for attendance will be on the court’s public website.
- Everyone will wear a face covering in public spaces and in secured areas.
- Everyone will be asked a set of health questions prior to entry at the front door (no temperatures will be taken at the front door).
- Defendants coming to be fingerprinted will be temperature checked prior to fingerprinting.
- Doors will be propped open as much as possible to minimize touching of handles.
- Furniture has been adjusted to accommodate sanitization and proper physical distancing.
- The court will have cleaning services on-site during the day and a full sanitization cleaning each evening.
- The court’s new security system is in place. All members of the public must pass through the security station.
- The court has added footprints and other markings throughout the courthouse to provide visual cues for where to sit or wait with appropriate physical distance.
YouTube Live Courtroom Streaming
Eugene Municipal Court is now streaming court sessions on YouTube Live. There are currently two channels handling the live streams to accommodate potentially concurrent court sessions. Please visit the following links to observe a session.
Virtual Court Session Scheduled
6/18/20 at 9:00 AM – Violation Trial
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +19712471195,,98661081600# or +12063379723,,98661081600#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 971 247 1195 or +1 206 337 9723 or +1 213 338 8477 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 602 753 0140 or +1 669 219 2599 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 720 928 9299 or +1 267 831 0333 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 470 250 9358 or +1 470 381 2552 or +1 646 518 9805 or +1 651 372 8299 or +1 786 635 1003 or +1 929 205 6099
Webinar ID: 986 6108 1600
International numbers available: https://eugene-or-gov.zoom.us/u/adhahJe5dl
The Eugene Municipal Court was established by City Charter to adjudicate violations of the City’s municipal laws occurring within the city limits.
The City of Eugene has also adopted the Oregon State Vehicle Code by ordinance, which gives the Eugene Municipal Court jurisdiction over these offenses within the City.
All Eugene Municipal Court proceedings are governed by State of Oregon laws governing justice courts. Keeping in mind the unique nature of the Eugene community, the Eugene Municipal Court offers fair and reasonable adjudication of cases and, where appropriate, the imposition of sanctions.
Court sanctions may include fines, time in jail, community service, road / work crew, diversion / probation, or other alternative programs, depending upon the severity of the offense and the defendant’s history with the court.
The information on this site does not constitute legal advice, it is provided for information only. While we make every effort to provide accurate information, there is no guarantee as to the a